The John Moore Museum is a nature lovers' dream; the perfect opportunity to learn more about the wildlife of Gloucestershire.Read more
Believed to be one of the oldest of its type in the country, the Old Baptist Chapel started life in the 15th century. Then it was a three bay hall house, with a fire in the middle of the building and the family sleeping on one of the two balconies upstairs.
In 1623, the building is believed to have been given to the Baptists as a meeting place. The building was 'modernised' in the 18th century to make it more suitable for its use and a minister’s room was added along with a vaulted ceiling, tall windows and a baptistery.
After 1805, when a larger chapel was opened in the town, the Old Baptist Chapel gradually fell into disuse. In 1976, Tewkesbury Borough Council acquired the Court and Chapel and restored them. The Chapel now looks like it probably appeared around 1720 and is managed by the John Moore Museum.
Access via appointment through the John Moore Museum
Phone: 01684 297174
The number of Tewkesbury's buildings listed as being of special architectural or historical interest totals more than
Tewkesbury has two big anniversaries in five years time; 900 years since the consecration of the Abbey and 550 years since the Battle of Tewkesbury. The town will have plenty to celebrate in
30 alleyways exist in Tewkesbury today - there were once